Friday, March 11, 2011

Respect the weather

Thunderstorm in Joburg
The dark grey clouds are gathering up and pushing the boiling sun away. One of Jozi's infamous thunderstorms is on it's way, and I'm as excited as a child on Christmas Eve. I love the thunderstorms and the exceptional atmosphere they leave behind. I'm kind of used to this phenomenon by now though, and I'm not really scared of getting struck by lightning (180 cm tall, I guess I'm an easy target)... However, reading about the tsunami in Japan today, and the one likely to reach Honolulu in 45 minutes makes me think about the forces of nature, and how powerful they are. It reminds me of the Norwegian fjellvettreglene . "Vis respekt for været og værmeldingene" applies in the big cities as well as in the mountains.

I just remembered that in November last year, after having experienced my first Jozi thunderstorm, I read in the news the next day that a man had been struck by lightning and killed 100 meters from where I live. Tragic!
I think I'll try to get a ride home from work today...

Have a good weekend everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment